Sunday, February 19, 2012

Feb 18 & 19: Celebrating Valentine's

Hipster Owl Outfit

Hipster Owl Outfit by bunni711 featuring an owl t shirt

Feb 18: Today was a pretty stressful day because I was trying to get all of my work done so tomorrow can be free for our Valentine's celebration.  I'm pretty excited about going out and spending time with my honey (even though I spend time with him almost every day at home!)  I did manage to get everything done, but I stayed up pretty late doing it.  We were up until about 2am, but Jamie was napping on the futon, so that hardly counts for him.

My book is getting pretty good and I spent some time playing hanjie puzzles online.  They're pretty addicting.  I just like puzzles.  Jamie's parents took his nephew to Chuck E. Cheese's for his birthday, so we went and got some sandwiches for dinner.  We were going to get a Digiorno pizza (they are pretty good), but there weren't any ones we liked.  We also got some chocolate milk and I was pretty excited about that.  Oh, and we got some pepperoni rolls which were also delicious.

We tried to watch X-men: First Class but the dvd was scratched all to hell and kept skipping ahead.  It was from the library and they have a little locking mechanism on their dvd cases, so we couldn't see what condition it was in before we got it out.  Jamie was kind of upset - I didn't even know he wanted to watch it so badly.  It seemed alright from what we saw (which wasn't much), but hopefully we can find it on HBO soon or something.

Feb 19: We headed up to Steak n' Shake for lunch today and went to the mall afterward.  We looked up the food they have there a few days ago and everything seemed really good.  I got a portobello and swiss steakburger that had caramelized onions and garlic mayo.  It was really good.  I think I'll get it with regular mayo next time, though - it was a bit strong.  The fries were really good and we got some milkshakes after we finished eating.  I got a double chocolate fudge milkshake and it was TO DIE FOR!  There was soo much hot fudge in it...  I'm drooling a little just thinking about it!

After lunch, we went over to the mall and walked around a bit.  Then we went in The Shoe Dept. and tried on some shoes.  Well, I guess I'm the only one who tried on shoes.  Jamie got two pairs last week, so I guess he has enough new shoes for now, hehe.  By the way, these are the other new pair he got:


Well, remember those shoes I was salivating over from the last time I was at the mall?  Well, Jamie bought them for me!  I'm pretty psyched because they are AMAZING.  I took some pictures, too:


They're sooo cute!  I'm dying!!

Anywho, I spent most of the rest of the day reading my book.  I also watched 3 episodes of 30 Rock that I missed (and I still have one more to watch!  Plus a butt load of other shows I need to catch up on...)  The book is getting really interesting.  The only thing I have to say is that I guess I never realized how bad things have been in the past between different races, religions, etc.  It really hasn't been that long since some pretty terrible stuff has gone down, and it may even be going down right now - still, today.  It doesn't make it any less real just because I didn't live through it myself.  And how can I blame anyone for feeling differently toward me because of things that have happened in the past - because of what people with the same skin color as me have done.  It puts things in a different perspective.

I guess things like this make me feel pretty young and naive.  Sometimes I start thinking that I know a lot about the world or about people and how they work.  But how can I explain Jim Crow laws and everything terrible that happened in the South, not even 50 years ago.  I guess I don't really know all that much at all.

Well, let's not leave you with a sad thought.  (Of course, it's an important issue - one that we all love to ignore and pretend that it was so long ago it doesn't matter anymore.)  I can't get over my pretty new shoes that are so adorable and cool!  The laces we got go so well with them, too!!  I'm wearing them right now, as I type this blog post.  Yup, sitting on Jamie's bed while he plays video games, writing a blog post in my new Converse hi-tops!

I almost forgot!  Here are some pictures of my hair before and after the sock bun curls:

Before
After













Love,
Christen

No comments: