Friday, January 20, 2012

Jan 20: Living in the Fog

This lovely artwork was for the Aquarius contest, which I actually submitted less than 10 minutes before it closed today!  I had been working on it earlier today, but took a long (long, long) nap and woke up pretty much just in time to finish it up and submit.  I think I'm going to lay off these contests for a little while.  There are new ones all the time.

So, today has been another foggy day.  I keep waking up late and it makes me tired for the rest of the day.  I'm going to have to employ James to get me out of bed earlier, I think.

I finished Wicked, finally!  I was disappointed, though.  There was a lot of hype about it, and it didn't meet the expectations I had.  I thought the idea of the book was good and the character development of Elphaba (a.k.a. The Wicked Witch of the West) was excellent (up until the end); she was a heroine, lovable, relatable, but the ending wasn't handled well.  It was quick and didn't flow with the rest of the book.  I think he spent way too much time going into the minutiae of her growing up and left the most important part until the very end, where he didn't spend enough time or energy finishing the book off.  It could have been really great if not for the rushed ending and overlong descriptions of her life before Dorothy.  Elphaba is probably a favorite character of mine now, but there were so many unexplained elements that he went out of his way to highlight, that I just couldn't give it more than 3 stars.

Wicked : The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)Wicked : The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

View all my reviews



I will miss Elphaba - the author really did a great job of developing her character and giving her immense depth and personality.  Ah well, it's hard to have it all.

I finished most of ch. 2 homework today for networking.  I had planned on starting it after lunch and getting ch. 2 and maybe some of ch. 3 done, but then I had a good long nap and also got derailed with Polyvore.  What can I say?  Anywho, I ran into a snag with one of them and had to e-mail the prof about it.  The lab said it was completed when I finished it, but when I went to send the results to her, it said the lab was incomplete.  I tried it twice, too.  Well, hopefully she'll get back to me soon about it.

I also have to make that graphic soon and find some time to read at least some of ch.1 in Javascript.  I finally got Microsoft Expression Studio 4 installed (it's free for students), but haven't played around with it yet.  I need to get on the ball!  Step one is waking up early enough so that the whole day isn't shot by sleepiness.  Ugh!

I'm going to start The Pelican Brief, hopefully before bed tonight.

The Pelican BriefThe Pelican Brief by John Grisham








I don't think there is much else to say.  We watched some more Warehouse 13 and we got Subway for dinner, which was yummy.  James and I tried the new chipotle chicken and cheese sub, which was alright (good, but nothing to write home about); we shared that and a chicken marinara melt.  Then, Jamie's parents brought home some yummy snacks, including my favorite m&m's: peanut butter.  So, pretty good day.  : )

Love,
Christen

No comments: